Baby Hairs | Learn How To Lay Edges & The Best Edge Controls
Do you struggle with your baby hairs? Learn to how to lay edges and the best edge controls to leave your edges on fleek. Its a combination of product & technique.
Laying your baby hairs was trendy back in the day and is still trendy today. When we style our natural hair in ponytails or buns, wear weaves and braids, or slay a twist out, styling your edges is a great way to complete the look. Some naturalistas like their baby hair styled simple while other go above and beyond making swirls and twirls. No matter your preference we will discuss how to lay them edges.
We use affiliate links, which means if you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission at no additional cost to you. Read full disclosure here. All content provided by Curly Girl Swag website and other media is for informational and entertainment purposes. Please read our full disclaimer here.
How To Lay Edges
Tools You Will Need
- Spray Bottle
- Favorite Edge Control (scroll down for the list of Best Edge Controls)
- Brush or Edge Brush
- First start by brushing out your baby hairs so that you know what you are working with.
- Spritz the baby hairs lightly with water. Only spray a little bit of water. Doing this allows the edge control (especially if it is harsh) to be worked into the area in order to shape or mould your edges.
- Apply a little or a lot of edge control depending on what your hair agrees with.
- Then, using your edge brush, lay your edges into your favorite style. Whether it be an S, C designs, or by swooping everything going back. Make sure that the edge brush you are using is not too harsh on the edges. This area is very fragile and if the brush is applied too roughly then it will cause you to lose baby hairs.
- Tie it up! Once your edges are laid you need to tie it down with a scarf. For best results leave the scarf on for about 10-30 minutes. Since the area is moist laying it down with the scarf will allow the extra moisture to be removed and help to set the edges. Using this technique helps to leave you with laid edges that can last the whole day.
- Remove the scarf. Now with your edges on fleek, its time to S-L-A-Y!
Best Edge Controls
1. Creme of Nature Argan Oil Perfect Edges EXTRA HOLD
The Creme of Nature Argan Oil Perfect Edges EXTRA HOLD will lay your edges, add sheen, and is nourishing to your hair at the same time.
2. Curls Blueberry Bliss Control Paste
Use the Curls Blueberry Bliss Control Paste if you want an edge control that is all natural and gets the job done. Plus it smells amazing!
3. THE MANE CHOICE Growth Stimulating Edge Control
THE MANE CHOICE Growth Stimulating Edge Control is unique because it helps to keep your edges sleek while supporting natural growth. This edge control helps to revive edges while providing great hold and superior shine.
4. Gorilla Snot Gel
So based on the name of Gorilla Snot Gel you can tell how sticky this gel is. Gorilla Snot Gel can be messy so remember that a little goes a long way. Once you get the hang of how to properly use this gel it will have your edges laid.
5. Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Edge Control
The Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Edge Control is lightweight, and helps to tame frizziness. It has max hold and doesn’t get flaky later on in the day like other edge controls. The Carol’s Daughter works best when applied to dry hair. Your edges will be left looking sleek and in control.
Remember that everyone’s hair is different therefore our edges will not all look and feel the same way. With trial and error using different products as well as techniques, you will master your edges! Do you have a favorite edge control? If so leave it in the comments below.
Would you like to be notified when we post new articles about how to style and take care of your natural hair? Then subscribe and join the Curly Girl Swag Community. If you enjoyed reading this you will also enjoy these other great articles. Check them out here!