Learn how to detangle your natural hair without ripping it out. We put together the best tips to make detangling your hair a breeze.
We use affiliate links, which means if you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission at no additional cost to you. Read full disclosure here. All content provided by Curly Girl Swag website and other media is for informational and entertainment purposes. Please read our full disclaimer here.
How To Detangle Natural Hair
There is definitely a right and wrong way when it comes to detangling natural hair. Let’s face it, if you are reading this article you probably have been doing it the wrong way. No worries, after you finish reading this article you will feel more confident about tackling your tangles.
Best 4 Tips To Detangle Your Hair
Here are the 4 top tips to make detangling your natural hair a breeze. Let us know in the comments if any of these tips work for you.
1. Get together your favorite detangling supplies.
Your detangling session will go 100% better if you start out by having your detangling tools laid out. This way all your supplies are in one area and you can just grab them as you need.
- Detangling Brush or Comb – Our favorite detangling brush is the BESTOOL Detangler Brush that was designed specifically for natural, kinky and curly hair textures.
- Pre-Shampoo Detangler – The best hair detangler hands down is the African Pride Moisture Miracle Pre-shampoo. This detangler is meant to help detangle your hair before you shampoo. It helps to melt the tangles while minimizing hair breakage.
- Everyday Detangler. If you are looking for an everyday detangler to use inbetween wash days then we recommend Carol’s Daughter 4-n-1 “Combing” Creme. Its light enough to use everyday but also makes combing your hair so much easier.
- Spray Water Bottle – Our favorite spray bottle is this Aerosol Spray Bottle. It sprays out way more water with each pump than your average water bottles. Get your hair wet faster and with less effort.
If you want a complete list of our the best natural hair products including shampoos & conditioners, styling products, curl definers and styling tools then check out The ULTIMATE List of Products For Natural Hair.
2. Detangle Your Hair While It’s WET.
The number #1 mistake naturalistas make is detangling their hair while it is dry. Grab that water bottle sis, and get your hair wet before you grab the detangling brush. Hair is more flexible and easier to work with when it’s wet or even slightly damp.
#3. Detangle your hair while it’s DRY.
The only time this rule does not apply is if you are just coming out of a protective style such as braids, weaves, cornrows or twists. In that case you will want to detangle your hair while it is still dry. I repeat DO NOT apply water to your hair first or your hair can mat up. This is because our natural hair sheds 50-100 strands a day. So, when your hair is put away for an extended amount of time those hairs are unable to shed naturally. Because of this, they get caught up in your new growth. This is why it is better to detangle your hair while it is dry and still in a stretched state. Instead use the African Pride Black Castor Miracle Take Down Moisture & Detangling Masque. It was designed to help with knots and tangles after removing a protective style.
4. Start from the ends and work your way up to the roots.
Do not grab your detangling brush and start ripping out your hair! First, take a deep breath and be prepared to take your time. If you are in a hurry or in a bad mood this is not the time to detangle your hair. I would recommend putting your hair is 4-6 sections using hair sectioning clips. Next, doing one section at a time, use your favorite detangler brush and begin detangling your hair slowly. Start detangling from the ends and work your way up to the roots until each section of hair has been detangled.
There you have it the 4 best tips for How To Detangle Natural Hair Without Ripping It Out. If you enjoyed this article make sure to follow us on Pinterest and never miss out when we release more great content.
Please enjoy this FREE download that includes a guide with 4 templates to help you create a regimen to grow your natural hair long & healthy hair.
If you found this article helpful SHARE the Pin below on Pinterest!